Tuesday, November 28, 2006

One Night in Shanghai

Nov 08, 2006 (cont..)It was a relief to finally arrive at the Air China Shanghai Hotel in one piece! I don't think I could drive here in China - too stressful!

Our relatives got us a really good deal for the hotel room. They said that all the air-stewardesses stayed here, so it can't be too bad. Check out the see-through glass wall of the toilet!


After washing up (sort of) and a short sit (hardly a rest), we were off again (into the horrendous traffic). I said I wanted to go geocaching at "Hong Qiao Park", so we alighted nearby. BUT FIRST, we had to fill our empty growling stomachs with real food! Stopped by Lisboa Restaurant for (big fat prawn filled) wantan noodles (for dad) and Portuguese egg tart (for me).


At 5pm, I left my dad and cousin at the restaurant and went alone for a little geocaching. Drats! It was supposed to be NEW Hong Qiao Park and that was a little walk away! Made my way there along the dusty and crowded roads and I noticed with dismay that the sky started to get dark!!


When I got to the park, it was quite dark already. By the time I found the final location at 5:45pm, it was pitch black! Gave up and half-ran back to the restaurant.

Apparently, they have been waiting anxiously for me because the car could not stop anywhere safely! oops..

Dinnertime!! We drove out to Nan Xiang town itself to have some xlb (xiao long bao). It was a quaint little street but I wasn't impressed with the xlb - the skin was too tough, especially the little twisted knob on the top.


Tang Hoon soup with tao-pok.


Check out the prices. Divide by 5 to convert to SGD.


Although our eyes could hardly stay open, our relatives insisted that we should take a drive out to see the night lights along the Bund. More jams and bumper to bumper shifts later, we finally came to the famous highway built between high-rise buildings. The view at the final curve was indeed impressive but it was difficult to get a sharp photograph in a moving car. These two were the only 'clear' ones.



Tired out, we stumbled back to our hotel room and wished that we could just fall asleep without bathing, but alas, having travelled 3798km, we had no choice.

No comments: